Monday, July 16, 2007

Day 229 - Ani DiFranco - 32 Flavors

DAY 229
Ani DiFranco – "32 Flavors”
From "Not a Pretty Girl"




Surprisingly I did not discover Ani DiFranco until the last probably 5 years or so... she is one amazing singer/songwriter.

This particular song is so insanely well written and sung it is quite simply a joy to listen to.

For such a tiny lil gal she sure packs one hell of a wallop with that great big voice. This woman hits me as fearless when it come to her creativity and "image." Different looks, experimental sounds, beats, tempo's... she is the whole package.

Check out this live performance of Ani singing "32 Flavors."

I am going to post the lyrics here and hope that you will read them and even better really listen to this song if you are not already familiar with it...

squint your eyes and look closer
I'm not between you and your ambition
I am a poster girl with no poster
I am thirty-two flavors and then some
and I'm beyond your peripheral vision
so you might want to turn your head
cause someday you're going to get hungry
and eat most of the words you just said

both my parents taught me about good will
and I have done well by their names
just the kindness I've lavished on strangers
is more than I can explain
still there's many who've turned out their porch lights
just so I would think they were not home
and hid in the dark of their windows
til I'd passed and left them alone

and god help you if you are an ugly girl
course too pretty is also your doom
cause everyone harbors a secret hatred
for the prettiest girl in the room
and god help you if you are a pheonix
and you dare to rise up from the ash
a thousand eyes will smolder with jealousy
while you are just flying back

I'm not trying to give my life meaning
by demeaning you
and I would like to state for the record
I did everything that I could do
I'm not saying that I'm a saint
I just don't want to live that way
no, I will never be a saint
but I will always say

squint your eyes and look closer
I'm not between you and your ambition
I am a poster girl with no poster
I am thirty-two flavors and then some
And I'm beyond your peripheral vision
So you might want to turn your head
Cause someday you might find you're starving
and eating all of the words you said


Go see what Andy chose today
Go see what Glenn chose today
Go see what Heuristics Inc. chose today
Go see what Niveous chose today
Go see what Roymond chose today
Go see what Troy chose today
Click here to see my song choices thus far (sorted by artist)
Click here to see the album covers of my choices so far.

No comments: